Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Day 25: I'm thankful for...

imperfections.

A few weeks ago, a woman who lives near me (now my friend) stopped by unannounced just to say hi and talk for a few minutes.  I of course was mortified at the thought of someone coming over to my home that I had not picked up, not vacuumed and had not turned on my Scentsy.  I reluctantly let her in and invited her to sit down as I quickly picked up the few toys that had been scattered on the floor and the pajamas still sitting on the stairs.  As we talked all I could think in my head is how I should always pick up as if someone was going to drop by, and then this wouldn't happen again.  The time went by very quickly and she left and I felt embarrassed.  I was too busy worrying about being perfect to enjoy the time with her. 

I have visited her house many times since then and not once has it looked perfect nor has she attempted to clean up on my arrival. I don't even think she noticed the toys or the pajamas in my house, she was there enjoying her time getting to know me and my imperfections.

The only nice thing about being imperfect is the joy it brings to others.
- Doug Larson   

No comments: