Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mermaids and Hampton...


The city of Norfolk is known for mermaids.  (Virginia Beach is dolphins... just FYI.)   You can find them just about anywhere, decorated to match the location.  One of our favorite activities while driving around town is spotting the mermaids.  The story is that each mermaid statue is a mermaid apartment and each mermaid is given a key to their own personal apartment.  The mermaids, come from the ocean, turn into water and travel up the poles into their home. 

Y'all I don't make this stuff up!


The kids and I traveled to Hampton, a city over a bridge and through a tunnel from us.  (Everything is basically over a bridge or through a tunnel... we are surrounded by water.)  I'm still uneasy when traveling though tunnels and over bridges.  
Hampton is a lovely area, very clean and everyone has a boat.   

 Cam was learning how to be a Navy shooter... flight deck crew on an aircraft carrier at the Air and Space Museum in Hampton.  We are stationed at the largest naval station in the world and the LT is on sea duty, but he will not be making a deployment on a ship this time being that ships only have one PT on board at a time and his command is Special Warfare Logistical Support (Navy Seals).  His command is structured so differently than other commands, I am still not quite sure how it all works, but the command is hosting an information fair for the spouses just for that reason! 





Schooling for Cam is coming along.  He is working on the Kindergarten curriculum from My Fathers World.  It is christian based, I tend to stay away from them, but I liked how this one was put together and everyday is very routine, which Cam likes.  Cort and Cam also have their very own work boxes.  The work box system is a program that was exactly what I had in my head when I began homeschooling and someone already wrote it up and is now selling it.  Cort has 6 to do at her leisure and Cam has 4 which will progress to 6 as the year passes but his must be done in order. 


It's so hard getting in on pictures when you're the one holding the camera... 
proof that I really am around!

No comments: